Mastering Your Move: Top Tips and Tricks
October 20th, 2023
Moving can be a daunting task, whether you're shifting to a new city, downsizing, or simply reorganizing your current space. But fret not! With the right tips and tricks, the entire process can be made smoother, especially if you rent a storage unit at a facility with excellent amenities. Here's our guide to mastering your move.
1. Start Early & Plan Ahead Remember the old adage, "A stitch in time saves nine"? It's especially true when moving. Begin your preparations early. Draft a moving checklist and timeline, so you know what tasks to tackle and when.
2. Declutter Before You Pack Now's the time to assess what you truly need. Decluttering reduces the volume of items you need to pack, move, and store. Consider donating, selling, or recycling items you no longer use or need.
3. Use Quality Packing Supplies Invest in sturdy boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap, and quality sealing tape. Ensure boxes are labelled with their contents and the room they belong to, making unpacking a breeze. Consider stopping by your local Midwest Indoor Storage office to pick up all the packing materials you’ll need for a smooth move!
4. Utilize Self Storage Facilities For items you don't need immediately but can't part with, consider renting a storage unit. Not only does it free up space in your new location, but it also gives you the flexibility to move at your own pace.
5. Leverage Facility Amenities: Carts & Dollies One of the often-overlooked benefits of modern self-storage facilities is the availability of moving equipment. Many facilities offer complimentary use of carts and dollies, making the transfer of items from your vehicle to your storage unit hassle-free. These tools can:
- Reduce strain on your back: Heavy items become easier to manage.
- Speed up the moving process: Transport multiple boxes in one go.
- Protect your items: Reduce the risk of dropping and damaging valuables.
If your facility offers these amenities, make sure to take full advantage of them.
6. Break Down Larger Items Dismantle furniture, like bed frames and tables, to save space and make transportation easier. Keep all screws, bolts, and other small parts in labelled Ziplock bags attached to the respective items.
7. Protect Fragile Items Use bubble wrap, packing paper, or even old clothes to cushion fragile items. Always label boxes containing fragile items clearly to ensure they're handled with care.
8. Keep Essentials Accessible Pack a box or suitcase with essentials like medications, toiletries, a change of clothes, and important documents. This ensures you have everything you need immediately after the move, without having to rummage through multiple boxes.
9. Ask for Help or Consider Hiring Professionals Moving is a big job, and there's no harm in seeking assistance. Rope in friends or family for packing and moving. If it's within your budget, consider hiring professional movers.
10. Familiarize Yourself with Storage Facility Rules Before moving items into storage, familiarize yourself with the facility's rules. Many facilities have restrictions on items like flammables, perishables, or electronics.
Moving doesn't have to be stressful. With these tips and the incredible amenities offered by self-storage facilities, your moving experience can be streamlined and efficient. Happy moving!