Mastering the Art of Decluttering: Tips and Tricks for a Stress-Free Home
November 3rd, 2023
At Midwest Indoor Storage, we understand the importance of a clutter-free, organized living space.
Decluttering your home not only creates a more serene environment but also brings a sense of control
and clarity to your life. Whether you're downsizing, preparing for a move, or simply seeking a more
organized space, we've compiled a comprehensive guide on how to declutter effectively.
1. Start Small: Tackling an entire house at once can be overwhelming. Begin with a single room or even a
specific area within a room. Setting achievable goals will motivate you to continue.
2. The Three-Box Method: As you go through your belongings, use three boxes: one for items to keep,
one for donations, and one for things to discard. This method simplifies decision-making.
3. Declutter by Category, Not Location: Instead of decluttering room by room, consider sorting items by
category (clothing, books, gadgets). This method helps you see the volume of items and makes decision-
making more straightforward.
4. The One Year Rule: If you haven't used or worn an item in a year, consider letting it go. Exceptions
exist for sentimental items, but this rule is excellent for clearing out unnecessary clutter.
5. Embrace Minimalism: Minimalism isn't about living with as little as possible but rather about having
things that add value to your life. Keep only what's essential and brings you joy.
6. Digital Declutter: Don't forget about the digital space. Organize your digital files, delete old emails,
and streamline your digital life. This decluttering extends to mental space, reducing stress and improving
7. Invest in Storage Solutions: Utilize storage containers, shelves, and furniture with built-in storage to
keep items organized. You may even consider utilizing a small climate-controlled storage unit for items
like Seasonal Decorations and extra Clothing.
8. Create a Regular Maintenance Routine: Once you've decluttered, establish a regular schedule for
maintaining a clutter-free space. A few minutes daily or weekly to tidy up can prevent clutter from
9. Ask for Help: Decluttering can be an emotional process. Don't hesitate to seek support from friends,
family, or even professional organizers to make the process smoother.
10. Celebrate Your Progress: Acknowledge the effort you put into decluttering. Reward yourself as you
reach milestones; it’ll motivate you to continue maintaining a clutter-free space.
Remember, decluttering is a process and not a one-time event. It's about making mindful decisions
about the things you surround yourself with. At Midwest Indoor Storage, we're here to support your
journey to a more organized, clutter-free life. Our secure, accessible storage solutions are available for
items you want to keep but don't need day-to-day. Let's create a space that's not just clean but also
promotes peace and tranquility in your life.